Heal LA Celebrates Virtual Cooking Class for 25 Families
The students and families from Loreto Street Elementary just completed their eight-week virtual cooking class. During the eight-week course, families had a fresh produce box that contained the meal of the week, chef apron and hat, and had a live bilingual chef on Zoom to help families follow along. Families that posted a picture on social media and tagged Heal LA was also given a $25 gift card. This was Heal LA’s first program since being incorporated as a nonprofit organization.
This past June, Heal LA celebrated with all twenty-five families that were apart of virtual cooking class. Families received a take home cooked meal, goodie bag, and had the opportunity to meet with Prince Jackson. A survey was conducted to get families’ feedback on the virtual cooking class and here are some key highlights:
- 100% students’ first time participating in a cooking class
- 87% of students never tried cooking before entering the cooking class
- 95% of students felt more confident in their cooking skills after completing the cooking class
- 95% of students believed they learn how to cookie healthier meals after completing the cooking class
- 91% of students felt healthier after completing the cooking class
- 94% of students felt more motivated to eat healthier after completing the cooking class
- 94% of students felt they had more energy from the meals they ate from the cooking class
The feedback from students, parents, and faculty all had positive feedback on the virtual cooking class. “My son is a picky eater and I was surprised he loved all the meals we cooked. He rarely ate chicken and we made a chicken recipe one time and he loved it and always asks for us to make it. My family and I would like to thank Heal Los Angeles foundation for giving us the opportunity to take the cooking classes we enjoyed it very much,” said a parent from Loreto Street Elementary.
Heal LA plans to continue to work with Loreto Street Elementary in the school year by bringing back the cooking class and other educational programs that will benefit students and families.
To learn more about Heal LA follow them on Twitter, @HealLAFdn, Instagram, @heallosangelesfoundation and like them on Facebook at www.facebook.com/HealLosAngelesFdn.